Back End Developer
Who are we?
We are Zzish. We share a passion for building a world in which every teacher uses apps in the classroom to transform learning for students everywhere. Our goal is to bridge the gap between technology and the classroom.
Founded by Charles Wiles, Google’s first ever tech hire outside the US, our talented, enthusiastic team are building and scaling a deep technology platform for education apps. We call our dashboards a ‘virtual teaching assistant’, letting the teacher know exactly who needs help, and what they need help with. Now, our Quizalize application turns dull assessments into fun classroom games that millions of students love. Soon, our technology will use AI to make sophisticated recommendations on which content and which apps work best to help students learn.
Why Zzish? Why now?
You’ll be joining Zzish at a pivotal point in our growth. We have just raised a new £1.5m funding round, smashing our crowdfunding target in 24 hours. We have the best and most interesting apps in Edtech looking to integrate with our platform. We have teachers and clients in 120 countries who love our product and are seeing meaningful results with their students. Most importantly, we have a constantly evolving product roadmap which we believe will change the future of education forever.
Now all we need is YOU, an exceptionally talented Back End Developer who loves to learn and wants to build a reliable, scalable and well-designed back-end that will be able to serve hundreds of millions of students every day.
- Implement an API for developers understanding their needs/requirements when integrating into our system
- Develop and maintain the current Zzish products
- Implement a data pipeline as we move towards event streams to handle the volume of data
- Onboard new developers to our platform
- Contribute to the improvement of our projects
- Share your expertise and continually learn with the team
Our apps are built on top of our GraphQL API (implemented in Node.js) and lean heavily on open source tech. We are looking for developers who have proven experience in these fields:
- Developing Node.js server applications (Express framework)
- Working with NoSQL databases (MongoDB, Couchbase, DynamoDB)
- Working with Elasticsearch
- Designing and implementing REST APIs
- Working with version control systems (Git is preferred)
Nice to have
- Knowledge of a developing on AWS/GCP
- Messaging queues and Pub/sub architectures
- GraphQL & FlowType experience
- Working with payment systems (Stripe, PayPal etc.)
- Competitive salary in line with experience
- Share options: when we achieve our goals these will be worth more than the annual salary
- A Perk Box account https://www.perkbox.com/uk/
- Team socials, snacks and Diet Coke!!
- To join and learn from a team of passionate and super talented people
- The chance to use your talent for the social good!